11 Easy Tips To Make Your Reels Go Viral
It seems like there is a new Instagram update to keep on top of every week. One of the latest, and most successful additions to the platform is Instagram Reels. The short-video feature has something for everyone: informative content, travel, comedy, and more, which makes it a must for every content creator. Unlike feed posts, Instagram Reels have a higher likelihood of going viral. If you want a quick boost in engagement and growth, going viral on Instagram Reels is the way to go. While there is no guaranteed way to get your Reels to go viral, there are several tips you can use to increase your chances.
But First, What Are Reels?
Reels are a short-video feature on Instagram. Similar to TikTok, Instagram Reels allow you to film and upload 15 to 60-second videos. When creating a Reel, you can either film in the app or upload videos from your camera roll, as long as they meet the time limit.
So, why is this feature special? Instagram Reels have their own tab (at the front and center of the main navigation page), and unlike feed posts, the Reels you post can reach an incredibly large number of accounts. Instead of only seeing content from the accounts that you follow, the Reels tab is filled with videos from trending and popular accounts. This means that, if you have a public account, your content has the potential to reach many more accounts and boost your growth and engagement.
Why You Should Be Using Reels
- Your content's reach will last longer: Static posts or long-form videos usually have 1-2 days of reach. In comparison, Reels reach new people for days, and even weeks, after you post them. A longer lifespan means that more people will discover your content which results in growth and higher engagement.
- Improve discoverability: Instagram Reels were created as a way to challenge the rising popularity of TikTok. Because of this, and the fact that it is still a relatively new feature, Instagram heavily favors Reels over any other type of content. This means that if you want to get discovered on the explore tab, you have a better chance of doing it by posting a Reel than any other type of content.
- Stay relevant: Our digital world is constantly changing, and so are consumer expectations. If you fail to get in early and adopt those changes, you will be left behind, which is why now is the time to start creating Reels.
How To Help Your Reels Go Viral
As mentioned above, there is no guaranteed way to ensure your Reels go viral, but you can do a couple of things you can do to increase the chances of it happening. We’ve included eleven quick and easy tips that will increase the likelihood of your Reels going viral.
1. Hook your audience: If you want your Reels to go viral, you need to create engaging content and encourage people to share it! But first, you need to create a hook that will make viewers stick around to watch your video. Since people scroll endlessly through hundreds of videos every day, you need to start your video with something compelling that makes them want to keep watching. Let your audience know exactly what they will be getting out of a video from the beginning. Instagram measures the time people spend looking at your content, so you want people to stick around for the entirety of the video. You do this by hooking your audience from the beginning.
- Protip: Many different types of content go viral, but most viral Reels are either informative, relatable, or inspirational. So, to increase your chances of going viral, try to tick one of those boxes when creating content.
2. Create Reel-optimized videos: Instagram is a highly visual platform. Your content needs to be eye-catching and high-quality. If your content is blurry or low-quality, the app won’t recommend it to as many people. To avoid getting reprioritized by Instagram, make sure your Reels have:- Good lighting and audio: Filming and editing your Reels on your phone is absolutely fine, but make sure you are filming somewhere with good lighting, and there's minimal background noise so your voiceover/music can be heard clearly. Not only will this make your videos more enjoyable to watch, but it will also help you get them in front of more people.
- Use the correct size: The optimal size for Instagram Reels is 1080 x 1920 pixels. This means that for maximum resolution, you should always record your Reels vertically.
- Include text: According to Facebook, around 85% of users watch videos with the sound off! While these numbers may be different on Instagram, it is still a risk you should avoid by adding text that ensures your audience will understand your video even without sound.
3. Be consistent: Instagram has stated that your Reels performance is highly dependent on how frequently and consistently you post. We know you may not have the time or creative energy to post 6-8 Reels per week, and you don't need to! Instead, commit to posting one Reel each week and make your way up. Remember to keep your frequency consistent to be prioritized by the Instagram algorithm!
- Protip: Consider creating batches of Reels in advance to save time in the future.
4. Include text and keep it in the middle: As mentioned above, including text in your Reels is very important. It makes your content easier to keep up with and more accessible, which is favored by Instagram. However, not all text performs the same. We recommend including your text in the middle of your Reels to be easily read while browsing on the feed or explore page. Reels that appear on your feed are often cut off and without sound, which means that if your text is too high up, it won’t be readable by potential users, and they will not know what the video is about. On the other hand, if a person is scrolling through their feed/explore page and comes across a Reel with interesting text, it increases the chances of them finishing or spending more time on the video, which Instagram favors massively.
5. Use hashtags: As is the case with many other types of content, using hashtags for Reels is key to going viral. Hashtags allow Instagram to categorize and show your content to users interested in your type of content. By using the right hashtags for your Reels, you increase the number of potential views and, therefore, your chances of going viral.
6. Upload a cover: Whenever someone scrolls your Reels feed, they should be encouraged to click on your videos. Adding a nice cover showing them what they should expect from a post will entice people to tap your post and view it. You can use Canva to quickly and easily create covers for your Reels.
7. Give Reel trends a twist: Jumping on a trend to go viral on Instagram Reels will definitely increase your chances of going viral, but you need to keep a couple of things in mind. First, you need to do your research. Before you decide to jump on a trend, you need to understand its meaning so you don’t miss the mark. Watch Reels of the trend and define whether or not your audience identifies with that trend and why. More importantly, if you decide to join a trend, make sure you create something of value and worth watching. Trends become trends because millions of people are doing them. How will you differentiate yourself from them?
8. Share, share, share: Reels' most valuable growth time is directly after you have posted them. So, if you want your Reels to go viral, make sure you are doing all you can to get it as many views as quickly as possible. To do this, share your content on your Stories and encourage other people to share it as well.
- Protip: Whenever you post a Reel, tag accounts that are either on your Reel or are relevant to it. If you are featuring a brand, tag them! If your content is comedic, tag your favorite meme account!
9. Use popular and appropriate audios: If Instagram notices that an audience is receptive to certain trends, it will show more of those videos to more people. One of the ways that the platform notices that is by picking up on the number of times certain audios are being used. If a song or sound is being used consistently on many different Reels, Reels with that song/sound will get more exposure. What this means for you is that if you use a trending audio track, you have a greater chance of reaching new followers and viewers and as a result, going viral.
- Protip: When including a trending audio track, make sure that it is relevant to your content. The song needs to serve a purpose and lift your content up!
10. Always post Reels to your feed: When posting a Reel, you have the option to share it on your feed and Reels tab or just the Explore/Reels tab. ALWAYS post Reels to your feed. When you share your Reels with your followers, you’re giving your content the chance to grow much quicker than if it weren’t. Leverage the power of your followers!
11. Don't repost from TikTok: Last but not least, don’t recycle content from TikTok (or any other platform). Instagram launched Reels as an attempt to compete with TikTok. Because the style of videos is very similar, it seems natural to repost content from TikTok to Reels, but if you’re trying to go viral, this won’t do. Instagram announced that its algorithm would no longer promote Reels with a TikTok watermark, so keep that in mind when posting!
Don’t stop once you go viral! Use that time, and spotlight, to harness your growth and ride the wave of success!
These tips are fairly easy and quick to implement, but consistency is the most important thing to keep in mind if you want to go viral.
We hope that you enjoyed this blog and found it helpful! For more tips, advice, and strategies on all things marketing and branding, check out the rest of Power Move Marketing's blogs.
Author: Julia Prieto