From TikTok To Twitter: How To Succeed In Each Social Media Platform
There is no lack of social media platforms out there, and every year we see new ones emerging. As a marketer, the increasing number of platforms means two things: more work and more visibility, but they are not mutually inclusive. If you don’t know how to leverage each platform, you could be losing both your money and your time. Below, we will be proving the benefits of joining the most popular social media platforms as of now and how to succeed in them.
Which Platforms Should You Join?
If you cannot provide diverse and quality content to multiple platforms, you should stick to what you can do and excel in it. Joining a new social media platform comes with a price, both monetary and in terms of time, so you need to carefully assess the benefits that specific platforms could bring and strategically decide the best choice for your brand.
- Facebook: Facebook is the third most visited website in the world, second only to Google and Youtube! This alone makes it an appealing platform for a business, but there are many more statistics to consider, especially audience engagement and demographics.
2. Use Facebook’s precise targeting to narrow your audience: Narrowing your audience means that fewer people will see your ads, but it also means that you can create much more personal and appealing content!
3. Focus on one call-to-action: The most effective Facebook ads have a clear goal and message. You want your audience to know what the ad is asking of them immediately.
4. Invest in video ads: Shoppers viewing video ads are 1.8 times more likely to purchase the product! Not only that, but over 500 million people watch videos on Facebook every day.
Instagram: Instagram has approximately one billion active users every month, of which 170 million live in the US, and 62% of these users are between 18-34 years old. More importantly, Instagram users engage with businesses very often. According to an Instagram report, 200 million Instagram users visit at least one business profile a day! While Instagram can help you boost your brand awareness and convert it into sales, there are a couple of things to keep in mind when joining this platform:
1. Instagram Stories are your friend: 50% of users have visited a website to purchase a product after seeing it in Stories, and 58% said they found the brand more interesting! This means that if you are not paying enough attention to creating content for your Instagram Stories, you are losing many potential customers.
- Protip: Add central text to your Story ads since they perform 75% better than those without it!
2. Shoot your stories on your phone: Your first instinct when shooting a Story for Instagram might be to create a very professional studio-shot ad, but these are 63% less effective than mobile-shot ads. Instagram users expect stories to be relaxed, authentic, and fun. You can achieve this by shooting directly from your mobile phone and keeping your content casual.
3. Get featured on the explore page: The explore page on Instagram is a place users go to find new content and new accounts, which in itself already means they are willing to hear what you have to say. Getting featured on Instagram’s Explore can have immense benefits since more than 50% of Instagram users use Explore every month. However, you can’t just buy your way into the Explore page; you need to earn it. Follow this guide to get in front of your audience!
4. Make your profile aesthetically pleasing: The first thing your audience will notice when they go to your profile is how it looks, then can either pull them in or drive them away. Having an aesthetically pleasing profile that showcases your brand’s personality is essential to connecting with your audience. You can start building a more attractive and cohesive profile by using Lightroom Presets and Canva. Both of these tools make it easy to create your brand look and stick to it!
5. Post at the right time: If you want to reach as many people as possible, you need to know when they will be available to see your content. Like all other social media platforms, Instagram has days and times in which posting will prove much more effective, independently of the quality of your content. Check out this article to see the ideal times to post on Instagram.
The majority of Twitter users are Americans, and this user base makes Twitter an essential marketing tool for US-based brands. Additionally, Twitter statistics show that 52% of users in the US access the platform every day, and a staggering 84% access it at least once a week. Twitter is the perfect platform to deliver quick and reliable customer service while forming more personal and meaningful connections with your audience. If your business and audience are in the US, you should consider joining Twitter. Here are a few tips to get you started:
1. Build a profile that stands out: The average Twitter user follows at least five businesses.
2. Share valuable content: Twitter is about starting a conversation. If your content isn’t capable of doing that, you’re doing it wrong.
3. Add media: Adding media to your tweets is a simple way to stand out from your competitors in your audience’s feed and get your message shared. Tweets with photos or videos in them get 150% more retweets than those without media!
4. Engage with your audiences: Many people use Twitter to communicate with or about brands. 80% of all Twitter users have mentioned a brand in a tweet at least once. This makes Twitter the ideal platform to interact with your audience on a more personal level and to listen to complaints that might be affecting your business.
5. Listen!: As a brand, Twitter allows you to listen to your audience and what they say about you. This is a free and effective way to assess how people feel about your brand and what you need to change.
6. Use the right hashtags: The hashtag as we know it was first introduced to Twitter, so it only makes sense to learn how to use them properly to boost your brand awareness. Hashtags are an incredible way to make your brand more recognizable and get your content in front of more people. Brands that use hashtags consistently earn 50% more engagement, so if you are not using hashtags, now is the time to start!
There are many reasons why your brand should be on Youtube. Not only is it the second-largest search engine in the world and the second most visited website after Google, but 81% of people between 18-25 years old and 50% aged 25+ use Youtube frequently. This means that your target audience is probably on Youtube, and so should you. Here are a few tips that will help you get the most out of this platform:
1. Make informative and entertaining videos: Youtube is a platform that people use to find information and entertainment. If you want to succeed in this social media platform, you’ll have to provide both of those things. So make content that helps your audience understand your product and your company better, and it will pay off. 72% of customers would rather learn about a product through a video, and 76% are more likely to buy it after watching a video. Leverage this social media platform by creating content that establishes your authority in your industry!
2. Share your videos to our other platforms: Starting on Youtube is a long process, but sharing links to your videos on other platforms will help you gain subscribers quicker. Not only that, but it can help you improve your website’s SEO ranking!
3. Create a homepage trailer: Create a short and capturing video for your homepage that tells your viewer what they can find on your channel. This video is your time to shine, so make sure that it showcases your brand’s personality.
4. Sponsor a content creator: There are a lot of very influential content creators on Youtube, and their approval could boost your brand. So, consider sponsoring a video from a content creator whose reach aligns with your target audience.
5. Create playlists: If you have recurring themes in your videos, consider making playlists that put all of them in one place. Creating playlists will make your audience's experience on your channel much more pleasurable, equating to them staying there longer.
6. Be consistent: Youtube rewards consistent and frequent content. So make sure that you have a schedule for posting on the platform and follow it without sacrificing quality. We recommend you attempt to post at least once a month but aim towards once every week.
7. Use relevant keywords: Before writing the titles and descriptions for your videos, analyze which keywords are the most suitable for your content and audience to bring your channel to more people.
8. Don’t drop the towel: As mentioned above, getting started on Youtube is a long process, but it pays off. It is possible that during your first year on the platform, you will see little traffic, but if you follow these tips, your subscriber count will increase significantly over time.
Last but not least, the platform that has taken the world by storm: TikTok. This platform was the most downloaded and highest-grossing non-game app globally in the first half of 2021. Research shows that 48% of US adults between 18-29-years old use TikTok, and more than half of the adult user base on TikTok is between 18-34 years old. So if you are aiming to attract a younger audience, TikTok can help with that, but how to do it?
1. Keep it casual: TikTok users turn to this platform to find lighthearted and authentic content, so steer clear of technical jargon and stiff script to let your brand’s personality shine through.
2. Showcase your message quickly: TikTok research finds that more than 63% of ads that show their product or message in the first three seconds of the ad get clicked on the most.
3. Shoot vertically: TikTok's shot vertically have an average 25% higher watch-through rate, so when shooting content for TikTok, be sure to shoot vertically, whether it is from your phone’s camera or directly from the app.
4. Break the 4th wall: Talk directly to the camera. According to TikTok, ads that break the fourth wall accounted for 33% of the ads with the highest view-through rate. This method allows you to engage in genuine dialogue with your audience by asking them questions and provoking reactions.
Every social media can showcase your light differently and attract diverse audiences. Ideally, you would join all of them, but don't worry if that is not the case. You don’t have to be everywhere to interact with your audience and boost your brand's image; you just need to create content that matters to them.
We hope that this blog helps you decide which social media platforms are right for you and how to get started on them. If you would like to read more information and tips like these, be sure to check out the rest of Power Move Marketing's blogs!
Author: Julia Prieto